Top Ten Tuesday is a meme created over at Broke and the Bookish where every Tuesday, Top Ten things of anything are listed. Todays Top Ten things are:
Top Ten Favourite Quotes
Now I know this week is meant to be about inspirational quotes and what not but I’m not going to do that. I am just going to put in some of my favourites, the ones that stay with me.
1. ‘”Hold my hand because I might disappear.”‘ – On The Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta.
2. ‘We Spoke about our dreams and how we always felt safe in them, no matter how bad everything else seemed. He told me it was one of the best days of his life and then he took out his gun. A .22 rifle. And he leaned forward and whispered, “Forgive me, Taylor Markham.” Before I could ask him how he knew my name and what I was to forgive him for he said, “Take care of my little girl.”
And then he told me to close my eyes.
And I’ve been frightened to do just that ever since.’ – On The Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta.
3. ‘There is something about words. In expert hands, manipulated deftly, they take you prisoner. Wind themselves around you like spider silk, and when you are so enthralled you cannot move, they pierce your skin, enter you blood, numb your thoughts. Inside you they work their magic.’ – The Thirteenth Take by Diane Setterfield.
4. ‘I drag myself out of nightmares each morning and find there is no relief in waking.’ – Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins.
5. ‘We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one man to stand up for another.’ – Divergent by Veronica Roth
6. ‘The person, be it gentlemen or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.’ – Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen.
7. ‘In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.’ – Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.
8. ‘If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger.’ – Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.
9. ‘Real life is not quite as it is in stories. In the old tales, bad things happen, and when the tale has unfolded and come to its triumphant conclusion, it is as if the bad things had never been. Life is not as simple as that, not quite.’ – Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier.
10. ‘“You shouldn’t call me crazy. They don’t like that.”
“But you are crazy.”
“I know. Do you know how I know?”
Scarlet didn’t answer.
“Because the palace walls have been bleeding for years, and no one else sees it.”’ – Cress by Marissa Meyer.
BONUS 11 (Just to add something funny) ‘“I have a cat! I do!” Damn it… why couldn’t I ever remember my imaginary cat’s gender? “Umm… she’s grey and adorable and her name is…” I said the first thing that popped into my head, “Hamlet.”
I was a genius.’ – Losing it by Cora Carmack
Ok, so these ended up being a little more inspirational than I thought. I tried to follow the theme since I have many favourite quotes. Really I could have done the whole list with quotes from Jellicoe Road.
I basically collect quotes (I would turn my walls into quotes if I could) so please share your lists this week. I desperately want them.
If you want any of the books listed please click on the thingyami below.
Till Next Time…