Top Ten Tuesday is a meme created over at Broke and the Bookish where every Tuesday, Top Ten things of anything are listed. Todays Top Ten things are:
Top Ten Childrens Books Featuring Death
How I came upon this idea for this TTT is a bit sad. Recently my best friends father passed away and I went to stay with her and her 10 year old sister for two weeks to help them where I could. One such thing was getting the little sister to go to bed (a process that generally didn’t happen till about 12-2am when she finally passed out). One night I was in with her and she wanted me to read her a story and this sparked my horrible struggle of trying to find a good book to read to her that didn’t have a death in the story somewhere. Point is I couldn’t find one and I ended up reading a joke book that made me want to claw my eyes out. So here is the list this week:
1. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. A wonderful story about a magical garden and the joy of life. Starts off with the parents dying.
2. Black Beauty by Anna Sewell. This is one really sad story overall really.
3. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. Though the father comes back at the end but thats at the end.
4. Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone by J.K. Rowling. Do I really need to say anything?
5. The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman. An orphan who gets stuck in the middle of a fight where people are pretty much killing off peoples souls.
6. The Neverending Story by Michael Ende. That scene with the horse? Just so devastating.
7. Watership Down by Richard Adams. Rabbits die in this book left right and centre.
8. James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl. Orphan. Lives horrible life with aunts until magic happens.
9. The Bad Beginnings by Lemony Snicket. Nothing about any of these books is happy.
10. Any Disney story ever.
And I think thats all I have. I feel like there should be more but they are not coming to mind right at this point.
What did you put on your list this week? Be sure to share!
If you want any of the books listed please click on the thingyami below.
Till Next Time…